Citizens Coalition for Change (CCC) deputy spokesperson Gift “Ostallos” Siziba said the party will allow the State to block its programmes through the use of “lawfare”.
Posting on Twitter this Friday, Siziba revealed how police in Marondera attempted to bar CCC from holding its star rally in Marondera on Saturday.
Siziba said CCC will hold its Marondera rally as planned saying the party has complied with all the requirements of the law. Below is Siziba’s full post on Twitter. [Note: the first post was deleted by the author].
2. In writing, our local Citizens Champions in Marondera, as per the dictates of MOPA law, notified the authorities of two separate programs, i.e. a mini car rally (to mobilise support) & an actual rally at Rudaka Stadium.
3. In a deliberate conflation of two separate issues, the authorities wrote back, disapproving the Star Rally, on the basis of the “mini car rally” campaign which they had been separately notified of.
4. After failing to convince the police regardless, we subsequently instructed our lawyers to engage them. Obey Shava had a meeting with the police in Marondera & specifically allayed their “concerns” over the mini car rally.
5. The police responded in writing, advising that we had omitted to give them the details of the second convenor, i.e for the Star Rally. This was incorrect as we had already supplied the details. Find attached evidence.
6. Out of an abundance of caution, our lawyers furnished the police with the requested details as appearing on annexure 2 of the letter dated 11 March 2022. The police accepted the letter, initially agreeing to meet our lawyers at 3 pm this afternoon.
7. Later on, our lawyers were advised that the meeting would not proceed due to other commitments by the supervising police authority, but most importantly, they were notified that should anything arise out of their earlier engagement, they would be advised in writing.
8. It then follows that since our lawyers provided everything requested, even though a formal meeting wasn’t held, the official position remains that our rally will go ahead as previously planned & we certainly will proceed accordingly tomorrow.
9. Pursuant of all remedies, our lawyers @bamuj & @obeyshava1 had already approached the High Court, on an urgent basis, in response to the initially rally “ban” before they eventually engaged the police directly, providing all requested information.
10. It is clear to us, that the behaviour of the police, exposes a hidden hand. It would seem like they are behaving as per directives from elsewhere. The only concern for us is that we have satisfied all requirements & will thus proceed with our plans. Local mobilization on!
11. As you may have become aware, similar challenges are being faced for all other Yellow Rallies slated for the rest of next week. There is a clear logic to this madness, which will be deliberately met with clear resistance. We won’t succumb to lawfare.
12. Tomorrow morning, we the citizens of Zimbabwe are converging in Marondera, to turn the city Yellow. As far as we are concerned, it’s all systems go. The Citizens Champion In Chief is raring to go. We are ready The citizens will converge.