A four-year-old boy from Hobhouse, Mutare, died recently after he choked on a leach fruit seed.
Zimbabwe Republic Police spokesperson for Manicaland Province, Inspector Nobert Muzondo, confirmed the incident. He said:
Ashton Jakata died after being choked by a leach fruit on December 11 in Hobhouse suburb. The young boy was eating leaches with his aunt when he choked.
After having the fruit, the aunt noticed that the boy was having difficulty in breathing. She tried to assist the boy but failed.
The aunt took the boy to Victoria Chitepo Provincial Hospital where he was pronounced dead upon arrival. The matter was reported at ZRP Chikanga.