Zimbabwe National Army (ZNA) Commander Lieutenant General David Sigauke said six army recruits died during an eight-month training programme that started in July last year and ended on Tuesday, 15 March 2022.
Lieutenant General Sigauke revealed this in his address during a pass-out parade by 2 442 soldiers at the Imbizo Training Depot in Bulawayo. He said:
The training commenced on July 1, 2021, with a total of 2 501 recruits comprising of 2 242 males and 259 females drawn from all our provinces.
Today a total of 2 442 comprising 2 190 males and 252 females are graduating. On a sad note, we lost six recruits who passed on during the time of our training and we say may their souls rest in eternal peace.
A total of 59 recruits failed to make the grade due to various reasons and today they are not in this parade.
Sigauke said the army has the mandate to defend the country’s territorial integrity and warned of threats posed by Jihadists in Mozambique to regional peace and stability.
The army chief also warned the graduates against acts of indiscipline and unprofessional conduct.